Man, was I dehydrated when I started biking this morning. DE FRIGGIN HYDRATED. It’s not like I did anything last night to facilitate that. I guess that living in Las Vegas, I have to remember that the desert climate can just zap you of your liquid stores. Today’s workouts (more prep for the race but Coach Kurt thankfully was a little easy on me)–3 hour bike ride which I started at 8:30 a.m. (97 degrees at start time and climbing. NOTE TO SELF: get your ass out of bed and on the bike by 4:45 a.m. and you will be ALOT cooler)
Breakfast 6:45 a.m. (slept in)
- 2 piece Brown Rice Bread, toasted spread with
- 1/2 Avocado
Pre Ride 8:30 a.m.
- 2 Medjool Dates
- Hammer Race Caps Supreme (2)
- 3 Water bottles FROZEN. 2 with Gatorade Endurance (125 Calories each plus electrolytes) drank all of them during the first 2 hours of the ride. I am so opposite of a camel. Gulp Gulp Gulp Gulp.
- 2 Medjool Dates at about the 2 hour point
- 1 Large Grape Powerade Zero (didn’t finish, just reloaded bottles with this and ice) I usually stay away from this stuff but it looked so refreshing.
Transistion run–In the perfect “training for triathlon” world, this run is supposed to be right off the bike (no fussing around) in order to simulate a race situation. I admit I was feeling really hungry (prob didn’t take in enough calories on the bike), hot and sweaty. Decided instead to strip down, cool off, and make a smoothie. Run will come in a few, uh, minutes. My behavior in small circles is known as “Leslie’s BROKEN transition run. Wanted to complete a blog for today, so in the buck, smoothie in hand, I started typing. Way more fun. I am not sure why I have this aversion to transistion runs. Oh yeah, I do know why. They HURT!
12:15 p.m. 1/2 of Recovery Smoothie
- 1 banana
- 1 Cup Plain Soy Yogurt (been having a yogurt craving lately)
- 1 Cup Frozen Blackberries
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Mango Chunks
- 2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed
- 2 Tbsp Raw Hemp Protein
- 1 Tbsp Raw Goji Berry Powder
2:00 p.m. Finished Tranistion Run (THANK you Ipod!)
- Other half of Recovery Smoothie
- Slew of vitamins and chlorella
- GT Komboucha Strawberry Serenity–popped it open while still grocery shopping–I was sooooo thirsty.
- 2 Brown Rice Crackers (Desperation move for salt–out of the bulk bin–I was seriously delirious)
5:00 Trader Joes–I SOOOO love this place!
For the record, I have to rule out samples and tastings. I exempt them from my “diet” watch. Great thing about TJ’s, Las Vegas, is that they have wine tastings on Fridays and Saturdays. Sometimes Mondays. I caught the tail end of it (a little wine and a lot of good political conversation with Tony, the wine manager). Had a few bites of freebie cheese and a piece of something that resembled chinese takeout in chicken form–TJ’s is always sampling something! Let me return to my mantra (or use it as a crutch) “be mindful but not militant”. Bought some toiletries, dog food, tuna, Clif Bars and a good piece of raw milk Roquefort cheese!
6:00 Finished making the Sangria I started last night.
- 3 btls dry red wine
- 1 bottle fruity white wine
- 2 oranges, cut into small pieces
- 2 Cups diced (small)canteloupe
- 1 apple, diced small
Method: Macerate overnight then add puree
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1/2 canteloupe
Add to wine mixture with:
- 1 small bunch whole basil
- 4 packets of Stevia (now you can leave out sugar and the hard stuff which is found in most recipes)
Leave in large glass jar in refrigerator. should last you a while
- 1 small can of Tuna
- 2 glasses of Sangria
(don’t forget that I had my hors d’oeurves at Trader Joes)
Note to self–didn’t eat a large salad or green smoothie. Sometimes life just gets in the way. Will regroup tomorrow.
Have a great night! Train hard, eat well and be real!