37 more days until Lake Placid. Doing a long run (2 hours 30 minutes) today!
4:00 a.m. up and thinking of starting run at 4:45 to beat the Vegas heat.
- Two Slices Brown Rice Bread spread with 1/2 Avocado–I’ve been REALLY into this for breakfast as of late.
- 1/6th really ripe Canary Melon
Decided to go back to bed until 5:30 🙂 (The heat won’t be that bad, right?)
- 4 oz coffee with Rice Milk and Stevia
- 2 Tbsp raw Apple Cider Vinegar
6:30 a.m-pre run fuel!
- 2 Medjool Dates
- 1/2 Brownie Cliff Bar
Long Run Notes–Started out a little defeatist about completing this run. I haven’t run more than 16 miles in one sitting in over two years. But what I remember about running is that you can feel really horrible for the first 15-20 minutes and then you start to feel better. Call it athletic experience, positive thinking or race pressure. Also had my Ipod packed with songs–I have a few of those “Training for the A race” songs–they always change every year (I think of training for my first Ironman Triathon in 2002 whenever I hear U2’s “Beautiful Day” or “Kryponite” by Three Doors Down). Ipod had on some current top 40 (which I realize kinda followed the guest stars on American Idol this past season–I’M SUCH A DORK–Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Kiss, Keith Urban, Lady Gaga..plus the Mavericks (LOVE ‘EM), Loverboy, Seals and Croft, Big Country, Brian Ferry, Cold Play–ahhhhhh). Katy Perry’s “Waking up in Vegas” is my ‘A’ race theme song 2009. LOL!
I usually don’t take in too many calories on the long run but I do carry the proverbial picnic just in case I need the fuel.
- 4 each 8 oz bottles of EFS-high test sports drink (finally have surrendered to using a Fuel Belt!)
- 2 Medjool dates (which you can carry handily in Fuel Belt pouch)
- 1 Super large Ice water that The Coffee Bean gave me at about mile 14–thanks Coffee Bean!–poured half of the ice down my sports bra to stay cool!
Completed Run, albeit a little slow during the last couple of miles (uphill). Made it thru run ENERGY GEL FREE! Hee Hee
Post Run–had small piece of a quick bread I can’t even begin to describe. I made it last week out of cooked amaranth (which blows, by the way) I was going to turn the amaranth in into dog food but ended up adding about 50 bizillion ingredients to it and baked it in cute little loaves topped with VEGAN chocolate chips–Tasty!
Ice Bath–submerged myself into this freezing mess for 15 minutes while I caught up with a friend from Vermont on the phone. I needed the distraction–the ice bath was so effin’ cold. Tried not to think about Lynne Cox’s book “Swimming to Anartica” where she does all of these crazy cold, long swims. Anyway, conversation with Sean is always funny, so time passed quickly.
- About a cup Quinoa (favorite grain–well, it’s actually a seed) and lots raw veggies-Avocado, Cherry tomatoes, Sprouts, Broccoli, Carrot, Bragg’s Liquid Amino Acids–yum–love something saltly after a long run. Really wanted Spaghetti and Turkey Meatballs 🙂 or a piece of cheese pizza with mozzarella so stretchy you could run a fiddle bow across it!
- 1/2 of a GT Komboucha “Strawberry Serenity” drink (8 oz)–can you tell that I am hooked on these?
- Mega Wad of Vitamins et al
2nd Lunch (about 2.5 hours later) 2:00 p.m.
Post Long Runs are funny. I never feel like eating tons shortly after, but 3 hours later, I was getting my car washed and low and behold I found myself famished. Duh. I didn’t have anything with me. I fleetingly thought about bouncing over to the IHOP 🙂 Seriously, a stack of cakes with some of that whippy butter would have tasted great. Intellect took over Emotion, and I came home and made a Chocolate Shake. You really need to try this. For whatever reason, chocolate has been demonized by the masses (It’s that sound byte information mentality which is so pervasive in diet analysis) It’s not the CHOCOLATE that is bad for you, it is all of the sugar, palm oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, crap, etc which manufactures MIX into the pure chocolate that is bad for you. Unsweetened chocolate cocoa powder is packed with antioxidants and low in calories. Check out the shake recipe. Threw a little ground flax seed (which serves as a thickener and is FULL of OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS) in for good measure.
Chocolate Antioxidant Shake–It’s good for you!
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Heaping Tbsp Raw Cocoa Powder
- 1 Heaping Tbsp Raw Goji Berry Powder
- 1 banana
- 3 handfuls of ice
- pn salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed
Random Notes: It’s 100 degrees in Vegas. I’m running around doing errands in shorts, a tank top, and WHITE COMPRESSION SOX. I don’t think people knew what to make of the outfit. My only saving grace is that Vegas is full of alot of, shall we say, “alternative lifestyle” people. Maybe they think that I’m saving my calves for my late night performances…:)
Dinner 5:15–Early Bird Home Cooked Meal Hee Hee Hee
- 4 oz Wild Salmon
- Melon-Avocado-Pinenut Salsa with Mint and Basil (I’m always making fruit salsas for fish)
- 2 Cups Salad-no dressing (Salmon and Salsa Suffice)
- 2 Glasses Barbera
- 1 Square Oat Energy Bar
- Salt 🙂
Notes from my coach who queried
“-First, can you give better total macronutrient breakdown for the days?”
1. I tend to go on how my body feels. I could plug everything into NutritionData.com (and I probably will on a couple of these posts) to cross check.
“-also, as the coach, coaching someone who lives in a dry/hot environment….are you getting enough NA in this diet?”
2. I salt my food. Felt like it was enough today. The EFS sports drink has 2x the amount sodium as most drinks 🙂 Take Endurolytes when necessary and will blog those)!
MISSED MY GREEN SMOOTHIE TODAY!
- Drink at least 16 ounces of a green smoothie each day
- If I do decide to have coffee, limit to 8 ounces
- Drink 2 cups of Green Tea each day
- Take my vitamins and supplements–Hammer Nutrition Products (Premium Insurance Caps, Race Caps Supreme, Antixodants, Boron, Mitrochondria Caps), Calcium, Coenzyme Q 10 and Macca Root
- Take 20-30 chorella tabs
- Limit wine intake (if any) to 2 glasses
- Take 2 Tablespoons Raw Apple Cider Vinegar Each day
- Eat one big salad a day as one of my meals.
- Eat many raw fruits and vegetables. make it a priority!
Limit or Eliminate completely
- Wheat, Alcohol, Coffee
- Dairy except for a couple of ounces of Raw Milk Cheeses a week
- Sugar except from Fruit, Raw Honey, Maple Syrup and Raw Agave Nectar. Exceptions-if doing long run or ride, using a sports beverage
- White Flour, White Sugar