It’s taper time–well, it’s actually been taper time for the last week. Going into an Ironman race, you start backing off of the long stuff about 2 and a half weeks out. Taper time Taper Time Taper Time–I feel like the zaney dog that is about to get fed (or the one in that “Snausages” ad)..
I have missed a fair number of prescribed workouts during my preparation for this race. But I’ve actually stuck to all of my training this week. Not too difficult since the time factor is only about 50-60% of what I’d should have been doing in the peak of my training. But I’m feeling pretty good. And light (even with my 36 hour food binge at the beginning of the week-LOL). I haven’t done alot of long runs or rides, so it will be a little bit of a crap shoot for me to have any sort of a PR (personal record) next Sunday. Yesterday I ate pretty well and met some friends for a glass of wine on the early side of the night. In bed by 9:30 p.m.
4:40 a.m. Up and about
5:00 a.m. Breakfast
- 2 piece Brown Rice Toast
- 1/2 Avocado mashed on toast (not sick of this breakfast yet!)
5:45 a.m 1:20 bike ride
Saw a coyote slinking up the left side of the road–very cool. Vegas being Vegas, had a pretty decent head wind at the beginning of the ride. Tons of riders out. Perhaps they have been inspired by Tour de France (TDF). Felt good on the bike. Watts output was decent. Okay, so it was really good. In the thespian world, a bad dress rehearsal usually means a good performance and vice versa. Does my stellar bike ride today mean I will have a subpar performance in Lake Placid???
Took Ipod. One ear in. Love the Barbie World song…”I’m a barbie girl, in my barbie world”…. What you put and play on your Ipod kinda reminds me of singing in the shower–it could be complete CHEESE and noone has to know. Unless of course, like me, you post it in your blog!
Transition Run with Tempo. Tempo being the dog, not the pace (or anywhere near it). It was a bit of a Fartlek type run, as Tempo had to stop and smell the roses (or in this cases, the markings from other dogs) 20 minutes
8:15 a.m. Recovery Smoothie/Slew of Vitamins
I swear that a smoothie a day keeps the doctor away–at least the kind which is fortified with 2 Cups of Spinach. I’ve been having a craving for plain yogurt over the last two weeks. Yogurt + 2 Cups Greens + a Cup of Frozen berries + whatever fruit you have to use up in your house + optional nutrition boosters (bee pollen, Vitamineral green and flax seed) = health and lean body!!! And calm mind!!!
- 1 Cup Organic plain Yogurt
- 2 Cups Organic Spinach
- 8 Strawberries (had to use them up)
- 1 Cup Organic Frozen Blackberries
- 1 banana
- 1/2 Cup fresh pineapple (just had it around)
- 1 packet Stevia
- 1 tbsp Bee Pollen
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 Tbsp Vitamineral Green
8:45 a.m Get ready for work
The past two weeks I’ve had some fascination with makeup. Top four reasons are as follows:
- Maybe it is beacuse I’ve been watching TOO MANY “Sex and the City” reruns while doing my indoor bike riding (because it is soooo friggin’ hot and windy in Vegas, I’ve been on the trainer and treadmill)
- Maybe it’s because I work with a couple of people who look like they have their make up applied professionally.
- Maybe it’s because Sephora was giving out all of these samples. I dunno. Yesterday I tried a green eye “crayon” from Sephora with brown and green eye shadow (Bring back the 70’s…but it works!) Maybe not for a triathlon..
- Maybe it’s because I’m a Barbie Girl. In my Barbie World. Okay, I’m not, but I keep playing that song everytime I plug the ipod in for a run or ride. Hee Hee!
- Some spicy pulled Chicken–about 1 cup.
- GT Kombucha Raspberry Drink–16 oz
- 1 Chocolate Mint Clif Bar
- 1 Baked Sweet Potato
- 5 Raw Flax Seed Crackers (homemade in the dehydrator)
- Small amount Quinoa with some Greens
- Bite of fresh Corn on the Cob
- Glass of my never ending Sangria
I definitely front loaded the day calorically–but that seems to work for me. I like to wake up slightly hungry. One of the quickest ways to shed a little of (yes Coach Kurt, I’m quoting you) your cosmetic bulk is to eat lightly at night. There is a old addage–Eat Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dinner like a Pauper. Follow it and you WILL see results!
Getting my inner “Barbie” groove on…have a great weekend!