Happy 4th of July! This is the time of year when people jump off the overconsumption wagon. The most successful way you instill permanent changes in to positive eating is to keep your goals modest. Instead of “I’m never eating sugar again” try “I will eat 5 pieces of fresh fruit at least 5 days a week”. Do not promise yourself that you will exericse for an hour a day, but rather for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. As you find yourself not overwhelmed by these changes, you will be pleasantly surprise how effortless they become.
Try these out:
- Buy 10 pieces of fruit on a Sunday and take two to work with you each day. Gradually increase that number to 15, then to 20.
- Eat a big green salad with a least 4 vegetables in it 2 times a week.
- Eliminate white bread and white sugar
- Use your kitchen especially with the economic downturn. Have a “use your kitchen” party instead of going out.
- If you have a dog, make sure you are walking the pooch each day
- Embrace Oatmeal in the morning. Ditch the cold stuff. Top with half sliced banana, ground flax meal, more fruit if you have it, and a pinch of cinnamon.