This morning, I headed down to the set of San Diego Living to promote an event at HERevolution tomorrow evening (see below post for details). As part of the segment, I demonstrated a recipe that I have tweaked over the past few months and plan on cooking for the benefit tomorrow night. I first designed this for one of my good clients back in December. This is one of those “no-brainer” recipes. Easy, fast and tasty. My client likes it so much that I have continued to make it for her. And her kids (both under the age of 9) enjoy it as well.
Our segment went well. Tayna from GoTribal, Darcy and I goofed around a little on the set as Darcy had brought a mannequin and tons of really cute (but not TOOOOO girly) cycling and active clothes that she sells in her shop; Natalie Susi from Bare Mixers had provided us with a really cool, natural lemon-lime mixer containing only organic agave nectar and citrus that can be used for either lemon drops or margaritas. Once the tape rolled we bantered with the host and talked about our freebee happy hour event tomorrow night at HERevolution.
This is a really easy dish to make. You can substitute Tofu for the Chicken. Enjoy with some Brown Rice and Steamed Bok Choy or Broccoli!
5 Spice Sweet and Sour Chicken (or Tofu) and Mushrooms
in Lettuce Cups
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Chicken
- 1 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Ginger, minced
- 4-6 Shiitake Mushrooms, stems removed and finely sliced (about ¼ Cup)
- 1 T Agave Nectar or Honey
- 1 tsp 5 Spice Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. Chili Flakes
- 1 Tbsp Tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
- Sea Salt and Freshly ground White Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp each Cilantro Leaves and Sliced Green Onions
- 8 each Butter or Iceberg Lettuce Leaves
- Bean Sprouts, Shredded Carrot and additional Cilantro Leaves & Sliced Green Onions
- 1 tsp Black Sesame Seeds (optional)
- Siracha (sweet Asian chili sauce) and Chopped Peanuts (optional)
- Saute Chicken until cooked through
- Add Garlic and Ginger. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add Shiitake Mushrooms and cook until soft
- Add 5 spice powder, Chili flakes, Agave Nectar, Cider Vinegar and Tamari
- Cook another 1 minute or until liquid reduces slightly
- Turn off heat and fold in Green Onions and Cilantro
- Season with Salt and Pepper
- To serve, spoon some of the Chicken mixture onto each lettuce leaf
- Garnish with Bean Sprouts, Shredded Carrot, Siracha, Sesame Seeds, Peanuts additional Sliced Green Onions and Cilantro leaves