Another day, another kale salad……Seriously, I need to write a book called “365 days of Kale”. Or to make it easier, I might abbreviate the title (and my commitment) to “30 days of Kale”. Or if I name it “50 shades of Kale” and get that Christian guy to star in it, maybe I would have a winner. Hmmm…..not a bad idea.
Also, welcome to day three of Vegan MoFo. This year, I am participating in the Vegan Month of Food. Over 400 Vegan bloggers have committed to food blogging on most days during the month of September. Check out the site here—it’s really cool!
I’ll be posting some more elaborate recipes in the near future. Today, it is muy caliente in San Diego and I was was craving something cool as oppposed to cooking something and heating up the kitchen. Plus I managed to lose a couple of pounds which I gained last week while I was literally eating all of British Columbia, Canada from Whistler to Vancouver (see previous post)—so eating along the lines of what I ate yesterday seemed like a good plan–clean, mostly raw vegan food.
I hit our local Whole Foods today right after Dog Beach. It is so much more relaxing to shop in the early morning (no crowds), and a double bonus was that organic Lacinato (Dinosaur) Kale was on sale for $1.50 a bunch. Ching ching, that is less money for food and more $$$ for meaningful things (like my triathlon habit, LOL). Aside from the kale and other goodies, I also purchased some tempeh bacon and heirloom tomatoes. I usually don’t purchase much of the fake meats, but this is a fairly clean product–just extremely flavorful.
Today, my intention was to test and blog about a seemingly over-the-top mashed potato recipe, but lunchtime rolled around and I found myself eyeing the kale and the tempeh bacon. How about a variation on a BLT? So here we are. The salty, smoky taste of the bacon highlights the sweetness of the tomatoes, and the mashed avocado/cider vinegar provides a quick and creamy dressing (think one bowl, a spatula and your knife for prepping) You don’t need any salt and pepper as the fakin’ bacon is highly seasoned (at least this brand is).
Fakin’ Bacon, Avocado, Kale and Tomato Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 1 large Avocado
- 2 tsp raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 large bunch Lacinato Kale, stems removed and leaves cut into ½ inch ribbons
- 3 slices Tempeh Bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1-2 Cup assorted Heirloom Tomatoes-sliced or cut in half (I used 1 medium tomato and 12-14 cherry tomatoes)
- 1 Tbsp Hemp seeds, optional (I put these on everything for a protein boost)
- In a large bowl, coarsely mash together Avocado and Apple Cider Vinegar. Don’t worry about if it is a little chunky: Finding a chunk of creamy avocado in your salad later is akin to digging the chocolate chunks or fudge ripple out of a pint of ice cream. When you find one, it’s as though you have hit the culinary jackpot
- Add the Kale and mix until coated with the Avocado mixture
- Add the Fakin’ Bacon, Tomatoes and Hemp Seeds
- Transfer to serving piece. Makes 2-4 servings
Non-Triathlete Workouts today include
- Core 40 Class (40 minutes—still super sore from yesterday’s workout)
- Hot Power Fusion (HPF) at CorePower Del Mar—my first time at Core Power Del Mar. The instructor, Nikki, and the format were terrific!
Another day of clean eating in the books—yeehah! And Happy Vegan MoFo!