I’m one of those people who prefers savory to sweet for breakfast. As much as I adore smoothies, I tend to drink them midday. In the a.m., I leave the oatmeal and muffins to others, and I enjoy baked sweet potatoes and the occasional kale salad (yeah, I know…weird, right?)
I’ve done a few early morning swim workouts this past week. I love to fuel up with real food, but I stay away from pronounced flavors of strong aromatics such as salsa, garlic and onions so that I don’t breathe those pungent smells all over my lanemates. I’m breathing hard because the Master’s swim workouts have been HARD.
I just whipped up the best GF/Vegan Breakfast Burrito and am enjoying it an hour or so before swim practice. Tempeh contains a significant amount of protein, and because the soy is fermented, the phytic acid in this soy product, which can block mineral absorption, is neutralized by the fermentation process. I also included a small salad buffet in the burrito as well. Go Green! Brown Rice tortillas are pretty tough and bitter when cold, so I always heat mine.
Tempeh Green Burrito
- 1/3 package Tempeh, crumbled into a sauté pan
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- Chopped Cilantro
- Brown Rice Tortilla (I used Food For Life brand)
- On griddle, flat top, grill or large saute pan, heat Tortilla.
- In saute pan, add crumbled Tempeh, Water, Cumin and Salt. Heat until water is evaporated and Tempeh is warm; about 3 minutes
- Place Tempeh horizontally on heated Tortilla. In same direction, layer remaining ingredients.
- Roll up and enjoy!
Yesterday, I biked just under 3 hours with Gina and Leah, and ran 5 minutes. YES I RAN! I also threw in a little strength training for good measure. Coach has prescribed two strength sessions a week; and I’m hoping that this will both keep me from being injured and boost performance. Because isn’t 46 the new 29?