Woo-wee it’s the off-season….or the non-comp season…..or whatever this time of year is supposed to be called. I’m 10 days past racing in Kona. After a week of barely any exercise and eating whatever (hello beer, grilled bread, donuts and chocolate-peanut M and M’s…….) I’m easing back into some semblance of a daily sweat and eating things made with kale and sweet potatoes. Actually, I can only take about a week PLUS of the no exercise/eating whatever thing before I’m ready to get back to my normal, albeit dialed back, lifestyle. I jumped on the scale
what am I…….effin” crazy? this morning to get some sort of benchmark as to how far I’ve fallen where I’m starting. I’m only a tad over 5 lbs heavier than I was 3 weeks ago (that was the last time that I got on the scale). That’s not so bad for me. Usually I’m up a dress size 2 weeks after the end of a season so….I’ll take it.
Yesterday, my great friend, Heidi Swanson @veganxplorer sent over a recipe for oat-based energy bites: I had everything in the house to make these and it took me all of 10 minutes from start to finish. Her initial recipe called for honey as the sweetener, but I love maple syrup (once again, a subtle, getting-on-my-knees reminder to all of my New England friends: if you are coming to SoCal for a visit, I would love some Grade B syrup). While chocolate chips are easy to measure; I usually have a million dark chocolate bars in the pantry, so I chopped up half of a Theo 85% dark chocolate bar (currently on sale at @WholeFoods 2/5$). The mixture was a little loose (probably because I misread the initial recipe and added 2 Tbsp extra of sweetener), so I added a scoop of Vega Vanilla Recovery Protein Powder to bind the mixture.
Chocolate-Almond Butter Protein Energy Balls
Makes about 32
- 1.5 Cups Oats
- ½ Cup Almond or Peanut Butter
- ½ Cup Ground Flax Seed
- 1/3 Cup Chia Seeds
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup (I used grade B)
- pinch of Sea Salt Salt
- ½ Cup Chopped 85% Chocolate Pieces or Vegan Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Scoop (1.2 ounces) Vega Recovery Protein Powder (Vanilla Flavored)
- In bowl, combine Oats and Almond or Peanut Butter. Mix until incorporated
- Add the Flax Seeds, Chia Seeds, Maple Syrup, Salt and combine with Oat mixture
- Add Protein Powder
- Add Vanilla Extract and Chocolate Pieces
- With scoop or two teaspoons (I used a small scoop), scoop out small portions (about 1 ounce or ½ the size of a goggle lens. Random, I know, but trying to give you visual…..)
- Roll each piece into a ball. Refrigerate in single layer
- Transfer to airtight storage container.
So, what’s next on the race schedule? It’s a little too soon to fathom racing; but there’s this intriguing 5k at the beginning of December called “Disco and Donut”. Theme-y and great eats; complete with a donut hole eating contest at the 2 mile mark. I think that we are rallying Team Groove.