I’ll admit that I’m someone who changes up their breakfast annually. Last year, I couldn’t get enough Avocado + Toast + Sea Salt. In 2011, it was Oatmeal with either Peaches or Pears. This year, I’ve embraced eggs and on most days enjoy two or three fried over easy and served atop a warmed sweet potato. The runny yolks serve not only as a delicious sauce for the egg, but provide the fat needed for you body to absorb the significant amount Vitamin A found in the sweet potato. Of course, as I do with almost everything,
even ice cream I top with a tablespoon or two of hemp seeds for extra protein, Omegas and crunch.
I also wanted a couple of healthy side starches in the dinner meal rotation, so I’ve been making variations of these super easy, oven baked sweet potato fries. I like to toss them while hot with nutritional yeast for a shot of Vitamin B and cheesy flavor. #yumandyum
Note: Stores and purveyors use the names “Garnet Yam” and “Sweet Potato” interchangeably. You are looking for the tubers with a orange-ish beige skin and a carrot-orange interior.
Quick Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Serves 2 as a generous side
- 1 large Garnet Yam (or Sweet Potato), cut in half and then cut into ½ inch wedges. Leave skin on
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil—melted if solid
- ½ tsp-1 tsp or more Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Optional: Finely Chopped Green Onion, Cilantro and wedges of Lime to garnish
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees
- On a baking sheet (I line mine with a Silpat baking sheet), large skillet or cast iron frying pan; add Sweet Potato wedges. Toss with Coconut Oil (if solid it will liquefy at 75 degrees or higher), Sea Salt, Garlic Powder and Smoked Paprika
- Bake for 22-25 minutes. Open oven at the 15 minute mark to release steam. At this point, give the fries a quick toss with a large spatula in order to redistribute the spices and oil
- Remove from oven. Let sit for 3-4 minutes then sprinkle with Nutritional Yeast and lightly toss with spatula in order to coat fries evenly
- Serve immediately
Baked Sweet Potato with Over Easy Eggs
- ½ large Sweet Potato ( I usually bake one and eat ½ for breakfast—it depends how hungry you are or what your activity is going to be)
- 2 Eggs (pastured is best—the nutrient content is significantly higher)
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Hemp Seeds
- Salt and Pepper to season
- If using an oven, preheat to 425 degrees. Make a couple of pricks in Sweet Potato and bake until soft—about 1 hour
- If using a microwave (as most of us on busy in the mornings do) make a couple of pricks in Sweet Potato and cook about 9-11 minutes depending on microwave. It’s best if you throw it in while your getting ready for work. It’s okay if it cools down for 20-30 minutes. If I have to “microwave”, I usually cook it while I’m at Dog Beach and eat it about an hour later…..it’s still warm
- Cut and open up Sweet Potato and put on plate. Add Hemp Seeds
- Heat small sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add Coconut Oil and swirl until cover pan
- Crack two Eggs into pan
- Cook until white are almost completely set. Flip once and immediately slide onto prepared potato.
- Season with Sea Salt and Pepper and enjoy. I always add a little extra salt.
Happy Tuesday everyone. Make it a great day and #fuelwithrealfood