Coconut Oil and Nutritional Yeast aren’t your typical stock grocery items, but we recommend investing in them because they are extremely versatile. Coconut Oil contains a fair amount of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). Your body metabolizes this type of oil differently than most oils as it gets transported to the liver and is used immediately for energy; which helps you burn fat (plus it tastes great; is more stable than olive oil at high cooking temperatures and provides the “popcorn” taste to these fries). Season the “fries” with Sea Salt, Smoked Paprika and Nutritional Yeast. Nutritional Yeast has a slightly “cheesy” flavor; is rich in minerals and B vitamins (particularly B12) and imparts a unique flavor on to the fries. Every now and then, we like a little Garlic in our fries–please note the option in the recipe.
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes cut ¼ inch strips lengthwise (we keep the peels on for a rustic look and taste)
- 3 Tablespoon Coconut Oil (use a neutral light oil if you don’t have coconut oil; however, you won’t get the “popcorn” taste)
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt; plus more to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder (optional)
- 3 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add Coconut Oil to baking sheet.
- Place in oven for 30 seconds to melt coconut oil (Coconut Oil is solid until it is heated over 75 degrees).
- Remove and add Sweet Potatoes, Salt, Smoked Paprika and optional Garlic Powder
- Carefully toss to combine.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until slightly toasted.
- Remove from oven and lightly toss with Nutritional Yeast. I use a metal spatula to move fries around baking sheet and lightly coat them with the yeast.