Chickpea Bulgur Dressing
This is a bit of a hybrid between Hummus and Tabbouleh. It can be eaten alone or added as a condiment to veggie burgers or atop a salad of romaine greens. It is fairly quick to come together, working the chickpeas and other ingredients while the bulgur cooks. It also holds in the fridge well for a week (although, it never gets that far in our house). The recipe can easily be doubled and serves as a good protein and healthy carb rich snack, easy lunch, and a go-to for dinner after a long day.
- 1/4 Cup Bulgur wheat
- 1/2 - 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 Can Organic Chickpeas rinsed and chopped
- 1/4 Cup Red onion Finely diced
- 1/4 Cup Red pepper Finely diced
- 2 Clove Garlic Finely minced
- 1/2 Cup Parsley finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Fresh mint Finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Sesame Tahini
- 2-3 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Braggs liquid amino acids
- 1-2 Lemons - Juiced
- pinch Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To assemble veggie burger:
- favorite veggie burgers
- chickpea bulgur dressing
- avocado, sliced
- pea shoots
- 1/2 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- In a small saucepan, add water and bulgur. Over low heat, cook until most of the water has evaporated and bulgur is cooked through, about 20minutes. You may need a few tablespoons more to fiinish cooking. Once done, allow bulgur to cool.
- While bulgur is cooking, prepare other ingredients. In a mixing bowl, combine chickpeas, onion, pepper, garlic, parley and mint. Add tahini, olive oil, aminos, lemon juice, and pepper. Season with salt last as, the aminos provides salt.
- Once bulgur has cooled slightly, add to te rest of the ingredients. Combine well. Adjust seasoning/dressing if necessary.
- Grill veggie burger. Spoon chickpea bulgur dressing on top. Slice avocadoon top and finish with pea sprouts tossed in a little lemon juice, evoo,salt and pepper.