Wow, this week is flying by! Yesterday was a bit of a cluster (eerie weird dream about an ex that jolted me out of bed; jammed-shut the garage door on the hatch of my VW, which delayed departure for a
really really long time 20 minutes; lost my Garmin in the house for 45 minutes; half-completed climbing Palomar after VW/garage debacle messed up my timing of ride; flatted in middle of ride; bolted from Valley Center to La Jolla for a lunch meeting; discovered that the mirrors in LULULEMON dressing rooms really do add 10 lbs AND the their Canadian sizing can truly mess with your head; got stuck in exodus traffic leaving La Jolla that ran into rush hour traffic on I5N; came home to find the guest doggie, Squid, sitting OUTSIDE of the house (had he been there for 10 hours?); crushed my last pair of reading glasses (Kamra corrective surgery can’t come soon enough) All #northcountyproblems, yeah I know. The upside to yesterday was this delicious no not another!!!!! kale salad with tahini-lemon dressing and a sumptuous vegan pattie on top. The crumbles are eggplant bacon. Thank you, Trilogy Sanctuary, for all of the good food which you continue to make. Now if I can only hit one of your aerial yoga classes……..maybe April?!?
Please excuse the lack of recipe photo as I was playing around with a new wordpress plug-in and decided to go with Meal Planner Pro. I’ll be updating and converting the website recipes over the next few weeks……yes, Alex, I’ll take things I think about at Zero Dark Thirty for $200 (although when I checked social media at this odd hour, I noticed that a few of my friends were up–one even did her 2 hour run at 3:00 a.m. and I’m texting with another at 4:30 a.m. so I guess that I’m not all that #craycray. I made this ratatouille for my parents last fall and they continue to rave about it.
15 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ large Onion, Thinly Sliced (About 1 Cup)
- 2 Cups Thinly Sliced Mushrooms
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 each 15 Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Zucchini, Cut in half lengthwise and sliced into ¼” Half Circles
- 1 Medium Summer Squash, Cut in half lengthwise and sliced into ¼” Half Circles
- 1 Small Eggplant, Cut into quarters lengthwise and sliced into ¼” Quarter Circles
- 2 Tbsp Capers, Roughly Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme Leaves
- ½ tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- pinch (1/8 tsp) Cayenne or Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ tsp Sea Salt OR To Taste
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Parsley
- Optional: 2 Tbsp Chopped Basil
- Move Rack to bottom third of Oven and preheat to 350 degrees
- Heat Oil on medium-high heat in large, oven-proof pot fitted with a lid. Add Onion and Mushrooms and Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add Garlic and Saute one more minute.
- Add Tomatoes, Zucchini, Summer Squash, Eggplant, Capers, Fennel Seeds, Thyme, Oregano, Black Pepper, Sea Salt, Cayenne or Red Pepper Flakes and Lemon Zest.
- Lightly fold and coat vegetables with Tomatoes and Spices.
- Turn Heat up to high and heat until there is a slight bubble with the tomato mixture (about 5 minutes). Turn off heat and place lid on pot
- Place pot in oven and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove from Heat. Transfer to serving dish or plates. Garnish with Parsley and Basil
Ratatouille is best made a day in advance so that the flavors develop