Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
This soup furnishes you with a way to use up those leftover sweet potatoes hanging around in your fridge! When combined with the smoky chipotle peppers and the rich maple syrup, this soup has gratifying and healthy written all over it. We only use real maple syrup in our test kitchen. Real maple syrup’s powerhouse combination of high levels of manganese and vitamin B2, as well as boasting the lowest glycemic index of any sweetner, make it a must in this appetizing soup.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soups and Stews
- Cuisine: Vegan / Vegetarian
- 4 Medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (large chunks)
- 1 Medium Spanish (yellow) Onion, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (large chunks)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- Water to cover potatoes by 1 inch
- 1/2 Cup Grade B Maple Syrup or 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Chipotles in Adobo (found in Hispanic section of Grocery Store)
- 1/4 Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Cup Coconut or Soy Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Green Onions and Vegan Sour Cream to garnish
- Place Sweet Potatoes, Onion and Garlic in 4 quart plus-size pot and cover with water.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook until Potatoes are tender–about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly to make handling easier. Add Syrup and Chipotle Chiles
- Transfer to blender (in batches) and puree until smooth. Return mixture to heat and bring up to almost a boiling point. Reduce heat to simmer and add Lime Juice, Milk, Salt and Pepper to order
Grade B Maple syrup is cheaper than Grade A because it is not as refined-thus there is more flavor