Classic Vegetable Soup with Parmesan Broth
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 people 1x
- Category: Soups & Stews
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely diced ((about 1 cup))
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed and cut into ½ inch ribbons
- ¼ head of green cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup water to soften and steam the vegetables
- 1 tbsp minced garlic ((about 3 cloves))
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes with the juice
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 rinds of parmesan cheese ((most grocery stores will sell these separately))
- 15 oz can of white beans, drained
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pesto to drizzle ((optional))
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy soup pot over medium-high heat and add the onion, celery, carrot, kale, and cabbage. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add some of the water to soften and steam the vegetables and let it evaporate while the vegetables soften.
- When the vegetables are soft, add in the garlic, oregano, thyme, and bay leaf. Stir together for about a minute and stir in the tomatoes with their juice.
- Add the 3 cups of vegetable or chicken stock and the Parmesan cheese rinds. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the white beans and balsamic vinegar. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. When ready to serve, remove the Parmesan cheese rinds.
- Drizzle each bowl with pesto, if desired.
- Calories: 139