Ginger, Shiitake and 5-Spice Soup With Seaweed and Cilantro
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-6
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan, paleo
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Medium Onion, Thinly Sliced (about 1 Cup)
- 2 Cups thinly sliced Napa or Green Cabbage
- 1 Cup thinly sliced Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 small knob of Ginger Root, unpeeled and cut into ¼” slices
- 3 pieces Star Anise
- 1 Tbsp minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Chili Paste
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup Nectar
- 1 Tbsp Tamari
- 1 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
- 4 Cups Pho or Miso Broth
- ½ Cup dried seaweed (Arame works best)
- 1 Green Onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ Cup Cilantro Leaves, Roughly Chopped
- 4 tsp Sesame oil
- In large pot, heat Oil. Add Onions and cook until translucent-about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until soft. Add Cabbage and cook until soft. Add Ginger, Star Anise, Garlic, Chili Paste, Agave, Tamari, Vinegar and Seaweed. Cook another 2 minutes.
- Add Broth. Reduce to simmer and cook another 30 minutes. The soup will be more flavorful if it sits overnight
- To serve remove the Star Anise and Ginger. Garnish with Green Onions, Cilantro and droplets of Sesame Oil.
INSTAPOT combine all of the ingredients except the Green Onion, Cilantro and Sesame Oil and pressure cook on 6 minutes.
Have the soup rest overnight for optimal flavor.
SHORTCUT: Use store bought pho and miso broth