Non-Dairy Quick and Easy Creamy Broccoli Soup
Nutritional yeast, with its bump of vitamin B-12, is the star of this wildly delicious soup even the veggie- skeptic at your table will enjoy. The soft green color and cheesy flavor of the nutritional yeast satisfies cravings for the decadent broccoli soups you remember– without the need for heavy cream and grated cheese. The savory miso adds a healthy dose of probiotics, consumable living organisms also found in yogurt and kombucha, which support digestive health.
- Category: Soups and Stews
- Cuisine: Vegan / Vegetarian
- 4-5 Cups of Broccoli Florets
- 1/2 Medium Spanish (yellow) Onion, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (large chunks)
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled
- Water, Vegetable Stock or Chicken Stock to cover by 1 inch
- 1/3 Cup Cashews
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- ¼ Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp White Miso Paste (I use Chickpea Miso)
- 2 Cup Spinach Leaves
- Extra Water to adjust consistency
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bacon or Coconut Bacon (to garnish)
- Place Broccoli, Onion and Garlic in 4 quart plus-size pot and cover with water.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook until Vegetables are tender–about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cashews to soften and cool slightly to make handling easier. Transfer to blender (in batches). Add Thyme, Nutritional Yeast, Miso Paste and Spinach. Puree until smooth. Season with Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper
- Return mixture to heat and bring up to almost a boiling point. Reduce heat to simmer and add Lemon Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar and season with more Salt and Pepper.
- Divide Soup into Bowls; garnish each bowl with Bacon or Coconut Bacon
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 3.9g
- Sodium: 455mg
- Fat: 14.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 15.8g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg