Day three of self-inflicted Monster Bike Week #MBW. Coming off of 4 days of R and R over at the Canyon Suites in Scottsdale (“R and R” is code for “barely no exercise, lounging, eating and wine”), I was gunning for some quality and quantity in training. It’s easy for me to be a little lackadaisical right now because I don’t have the run component. No run component means no racing and historically when I don’t have the have any races on the near horizon, I slack off. In order to stay in check, I conspired with Julie to put together a volume bike week. Out of respect for those who guide us (in this case, not you #dbj, but more on that later) we reached out to our respective coaches, Mike and Kurt. Surprisingly, we both got the green light so alrighty then…..400 miles it is.
It might come as a shock to some, but we have no problem passing lots of time together. 40 hours of riding/week + all the other wasted time that inevitably happens during biking, we are in each other’s pockets a lot. Today’s ride was a series of lessons, mechanicals and leisurely stops; all of which put a huge discrepancy between the “actual roll” time and the “total ride” time (5:34 and 7:15 respectively).
Here’s the tally of the “wasted” time
- Hands-on lesson from John on how to stretch a brand new gatorskin tire onto my wheel; pinch flat—ooops—and second go-around 25 minutes
- Quick photo doc at mile two of us plus today’s guest rider (John) 3 minutes
- Stop at Deer Valley Gas Station Man in women’s bathroom reading the proverbial paper holding up OUR business + Facebook time 10 minutes
- Stop at Rainbow store Photo op for #dbj and poking fun at stuff that only we probably think is funny. Cruised store where each of us separately purchased ORANGE CRACKER PRODUCTS (hello Cheezits). Took time to post some of these shenanigans onto FB 12 minutes
- Stop (not planned) managed to puncture aforementioned gatorskin while coming down Rice Canyon. Guessing that #dbj didn’t take well to his photo shoot amongst the avocados (maybe he doesn’t believe in high fat diets, who knows? #fishesandloaves #mascottempertantrum). Anyhoo, plugged the hole with some Pit Stop. While putting wheel back on bike, managed to loop up the chain in two places (say what?). There we were, two of us, trying to straighten out this damn chain. We were seemingly so incompetent and to anyone watching, it really was as though our labs, Tempo and Zen, were trying to fix a mechanical on the bike #dumbanddumber Somehow we unwrangled the
Rubiks cubechain. 20 minutes
- Julie’s battery dies (ooops) and that awesomely handy DI2 shifting is now stuck in the small chain ring. Eventually the rear cassette shifting goes out. Kudos to Jules for climbing Twin Oaks in the hardest gear possible no time lost, but annoying for her
- Discussing various other scenarios that could go wrong during #MBW. Most not plausible but you never know 5 minutes lost as the I’m sure us cracking each other up slowed the crawl back up Champagne…..
- Stop at Deer Valley Gas Station just took our time; didn’t even buy anything 8 minutes
And on the food front…….
I’ve been playing around with a chickpea blondie recipe and I think that I’ve finally got one I like. Please
Chickpea-Cashew Butter Blondies (Vegan and Gluten Free)
- 2 1/4 Cups Cooked Chickpeas (about 1.5 cans, drained)
- 1/2 Cup Cashew Butter
- 1/3 Cup Oat Flour (you can pulverize oats in food processor to make oat flour)
- ¼ Cup Real Maple Syrup
- 1 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 1.5 Tbsp Cinnamon
- ¾ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ Cup Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 9” x 9” or 10″ x 10″ pan with parchment and grease with a little coconut oil
- Measure out all ingredients (you stay way more organized if you do this with any recipe)
- In Food Processor, process the Chickpeas until smooth
- Add all remaining ingredients with the exception of the walnuts
- Pulse until combined; about 45 seconds
- Fold Walnuts into batter
- Pout into prepared pan
- Bake 40 minutes for 9” pan; 35 minutes for 10” pan
- Cool and serve
Tomorrow is day four of #MBW. Ride is only 40 miles-ish, so it should be a relatively short day……..famous last words, I know.